Most small business owners know that certain types of questions are off limits during a job interview, but it seems that anything goes when it comes to responses from candidates.
Accountemps recently developed a survey that asked HR, finance and marketing execs “What is the wackiest or most unusual pitch you’ve heard from a job seeker about why he or she should get the job?” The 150 or so responses ranged from a candidate who boasted he’d be a great addition to the company softball team to one woman who sang her responses to interview questions.
How do their experiences stack up to the lines you’ve heard?
- “An individual told me he was allergic to unemployment.”
- “One candidate said that we should hire him because he would be a great addition to our softball team.”
- “A candidate sang all of her responses to interview questions.”
- “One job seeker said he should get the job because he had already applied three times and felt that it was now his turn.”
- “One individual said we had nice benefits, which was good because he was going to need to take a lot of leave in the next year.”
- “An applicant drafted a press release announcing we had hired him.”
- “A person said he had no relevant experience for the position he was interviewing for, but his friend did.”
- “A gentleman delivered his entire cover letter verbally as a rap song.”
- “An applicant once told me she wanted the position because she wanted to get away from dealing with people.”
- “One person brought his mother to the job interview and let her do all of the talking.”
- “One applicant gave me his resume in a brown paper lunch bag.
- “When our company moved to Texas, one applicant sent his resume in a ten-gallon hat.”
OK, now I want to hear from you. Respond with the most amusing, interesting or off-the-wall reasons your job candidates have given for why they’d be a great hire!