Any successful business owner will tell you that the devil is in the details. The next time you feel yourself “settling” or compromising . . . on quality, on customer service, on whatever it may be . . . stop and remember this:
If 99.9% were good enough . . .
- Every day 12 newborn babies would be sent home with the wrong parents.
- 18,322 pieces of mail would be mishandled every hour.
- 315 words would be misspelled in Webster’s Dictionary.
- 691 patients a month would die from surgical mistakes.
- 20,000 drug prescriptions a year would be filled incorrectly.
- Every other day an airliner would crash someplace in the world.
Perfectionism can stall progress, but details do matter. Be precise, not perfect.